Tuesday, April 19, 2011

From the Farmers' Market

Surprise!

I was doubtful that we'd be able to make a stop at the farmers' market this Saturday, since my main focus was running that 5k I'd mentioned. It was a pleasant surprise that the nasty weather from yesterday's post managed to stay away until a few hours after the race ended. It was cloudy, windy, overcast, and humid as all get out, but definitely better than torrential downpours or a tornado! We finished in 38 minutes (my goal was just to make it in 40 minutes, especially after I saw how many hills were on the course!) and ran the entire time, so I was a very happy camper.

On the way home, I remembered that it was still early enough for the market to be open, so we swung by (Kate came with me, even though I'm the one that typically does the food shopping in our house) to pick up a few items for the week ahead.


kale, asiago cheese, turnips, spinach, strawberries, garlic greens, and Swiss chard


Kate loves making Indian food and volunteered to make chana palak (basically, lots of greens with garbanzo beans, which we serve over rice) this week, so we took full advantage of all the different greens available. We also picked up some turnips to add even more veggies to the meal.


For a treat, we also picked up some asiago cheese from Chapel Hill Creamery. It is so incredibly good (as are all of their cheeses, really). I'm enjoying adding it to salads along with tempeh to make them a bit more substantial.


As a side note, isn't the Swiss chard so pretty? I love the vibrant colors of their stems a whole bunch (ba-dum-ching).

No comments:

Post a Comment